Every day, the Steelworkers Benefit Plan (SBP) provides thousands of USW members and their families with the security of quality health and welfare benefits coverage. The SBP is becoming the best option for benefits coverage for more and more Steelworkers families.
The Steelworkers Benefit Plan is a large, successful multi-employer plan created to provide high-quality, affordable health and welfare benefits to USW members and their families.
The Plan is administered by a Board of Trustees whose members are appointed by USW District 6 Director Marty Warren, who serves as the board’s Chairperson. The Trustees have retained Benefit Plan Administrators Ltd. to administer the Plan and adjudicate claims. An auditor, a benefits consultant and legal counsel are retained to assist with the Plan’s operation. An investment consultant and two investment managers assist in the investment of the Plan’s assets.
The Steelworkers Benefit Plan offers a wide variety of health and welfare benefits to participating members. The scope of benefits provided to members and the contribution levels are negotiated by the Union and the various employers that employ Plan members. Each bargaining unit determines its benefits package, based on its members’ needs and the contributions that are negotiated.The Plan offers fully insured benefits and self-insured benefits.
Fully insured benefits include:
- Basic Group Life Insurance
- Optional Group Life Insurance
- Dependent Group Life Insurance
- Accidental Death and Dismemberment Insurance
- Emergency Out of Province Medical Insurance
- Long Term Disability Insurance
- Critical Illness Insurance
- Hospital Cash Insurance
- Prescription Drug Coverage
- Vision Care Coverage
- Extended Health Care Coverage
- Dental Coverage (Basic, Major and Orthodontics)
- Short Term Disability Coverage
- Post-Retirement Health and Welfare Benefits
- Health and Welfare Benefits to members and their families during a labour dispute
The Plan has many advantages over traditional for-profit benefits programs. Since the Plan is not set up to generate profits for shareholders, all contributions are used to pay for benefits and Plan expenses. Bargaining unit members become part of a larger group and benefit from economies of scale. The Plan also provides flexibility as individual bargaining units, in consultation with the Union, determine which benefits are provided to members from the contributions received from the employer. Benefits are also available for part-time employees whose bargaining units participate in the Plan.
The Plan allows Steelworkers bargaining units to manage and control their health and welfare benefits. Employers do not decide which benefits are provided. Bargaining units negotiate contribution levels with employers and the bargaining units determine which benefits are provided to members from those contributions. Bargaining units can offer members the ability to submit claims electronically and to have their claims paid by direct deposit into their bank accounts.
The Plan provides USW locals and their participating members with access to professional benefit advisors who:
- provide education, assistance and guidance on all group benefits matters;
- meet with benefit committees to discuss Plan performance and other issues;
- attend union meetings when requested;
- provide access to all claim contracts, as well as ongoing assistance with disability claims.
Other important advantages of the Plan include:
- not-for-profit Steelworkers Dental Clinics in Toronto, Mississauga, Hamilton and Windsor;
- benefits coverage to members during labour disputes;
- allows management staff of participating employers to join the Plan; and
- offers pre-priced benefits packages to new groups seeking to join the Plan.
The Steelworkers Benefit Plan offers excellent service and coverage to USW members and their families. If you are interested in joining the Plan please call us or talk to your USW staff representative.
Steelworkers Benefit Plan